Tuesday, August 15, 2017

My Beauty Uniform: Burnout & Self Love




What's the first thing you do when you get out of bed?
  Turn on my morning playlist which consists mostly of female artists like Stevie Nicks, Bonnie Tyler and Lady Gaga. I’ll splash cool water on my face and apply moisture, then make a warm glass of water with mint.  It's really refreshing!

 What gives you energy?
  So many things! Swimming definitely invigorates me, I feel like I can take on the world after a good swim. Unlike most sports, you can let your mind wander, relax and think about what makes you come alive. I don’t swim as much as I use too, I need to work on it. Also, being an active listener. Nobody listens to each other anymore; we’re all too busy trying to impress everyone around us. I once read an article about interruption and I have to say I agree with the physician completely. If you knew me, you'd know I’m not an aggressive communicator. One of my strengths is being a deep listener. I’ve always been curious about the world and culture, I'm very personable and can easily talk with just about everyone. One of my favorite mentors/friends I had growing up was a camp counselor from Australia! I have a passion for people, so history and culture is very important to me (which is why I have two degrees in history and anthropology). When my dad and his brothers get together, I could listen to their childhood stories all day!  Listening to a truly great story or even a terrible one, oddly gives me energy. It’s important to let people know you care. I urge you to actively listen instead of thinking about what your response should be. No matter who or what I’m listening too, I feel inspired because I’ve learned something new from that person. We need to make our world a nicer place.

 What's your secret life hack?
  I try to go out of my way to be kind and polite to everyone even when it's hard. The world can always use more of that. Also you never know what someone is going through. 

Name a book that changed your life. 
  Madeline by Ludwig Bemelmans, A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett and Still Writing by Dani Shaprio. 

 You unexpectedly find 15 minutes in your day, what do you do with it?
I’d probably do a quick meditation session. It’s a breathing exercise (so it’s not the deep meditation you’re thinking) which helps give me a little boost of energy when I start to feel tired. I would definitely need to fill up on my third or fourth glass of lemon water.  

When was the last time you felt burned out and why?
Honestly, I'll start to feel burnt out when I don't have enough solitude. I am extremely introverted and if I go several days without recharging (which means spending time alone) I'll start to feel off-balance and probably act a little crabby.

 When was the last time you felt you failed and how did you overcome it?
To be fully honest, I often feel as though I'm constantly failing because I’m always setting impossible standards for myself. I feel this immense pressure because I left college on a medical leave and even when I went back I wasn’t myself and had no direction. As a result I feel like I’m behind in my career (and sometimes life). But it's something that I'm actively working on, I have to constantly remind myself that my shortcomings are how I'll continue to grow and learn. Don’t get sucked into comparing yourself to others, it’s a waste of time and energy. And as much I don't want to admit to it, I also tell myself I'm exactly where I need to be.

 Share a quote that you love and that gives you strength or peace.
There are several quotes that bring me strength and inspire me to be my best self. More than any other, there's this quote by Ernest Hemingway, “
The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” There have been times in my life where I have felt broken or nearly defeated and I want to give up. I may be in the midst of tears or frustration but I have to remind myself that people’s problems are rarely as unique as we may think. We all have bad things happen to us, some people have had a much worse experiences than others. It’s all about putting it into perspective, picking yourself up and deciding how you want that experience to shape you. I find this quote actually humbling. It’s a reminder that we all break, it’s how to pick ourselves up and how we want to carry out our present and our future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leading Ladies

Five Things to Know About Bernadette Marie: 1. Trained and completed two degrees, an AAS in Communication Design and BFA in Textile S...